Have you heard about the latest home trend, the Barndominium? What exactly is it?
Barndominiums are a residential building that was either once a preexisting barn or a brand-new structure designed to resemble that of a barn. Taking the insides and converting them to offer all the comforts of a modern home with an open floor plan, high ceilings and industrial elements. The actual term was coined by real estate developer Karl Nilsen in 1989. But what made it popular was the 3rd season of Fixer Upper, when Chip and Joanna Gaines converted an old barn into a home. Initially it was a convenient place for care takers to stay so they could be close and manage their stock. So, the concept isn’t that unusual. Now a days barndominiums or “barndos” as they are also referred to offer beautifully designed residences.
Bardominiums have gained popularity for their unique aesthetic appeal and versatility as they can be customized to suit various styles and preferences. They often provide ample space for living quarters, workshops or even event venues. While barndominiums initial popularity were mainly in rural areas, their appeal has extended to suburban and urban settings as well.
- There are several advantages to choosing a barndominium as a home.
- Affordability: Barndominiums are often more cost effective compared to traditional homes as they typically require fewer materials and construction time. This can make them an attractive option for those looking for a budget friendly housing solution.
- Customizability: Barndominiums offer a high degree of customization. The open floor plans and large interior spaces allow for versatile layout options and the ability to adapt the space for specific needs and preferences.
- Spaciousness: With their wide-open areas, barndominiums provide ample living space. The high ceilings can create a sense of grandeur and allow for unique design features like loft spaces or mezzanines.
- Flexibility of use: Barndominiums can serve multiple purposes. Besides being a comfortable home, they can also be utilized as a workshop spaces, storage areas, or even as event venues. This versatility makes them suitable for individuals with various hobbies or business ventures.
- Rustic Charm: The rustic aesthetic of a barndominium can be appealing to those who appreciate a blend of traditional and contemporary styles. The barn inspired exterior and interior elements can create a unique and cozy atmosphere.
We here at Appalachian Log & Timber Homes, have our own version of a barndominium. It’s our Carriage Home plan and its one we absolutely love. It’s full of charm, space and that rustic appeal everyone seems to love.
*Remember that local regulations and zoning laws may vary, so it’s important to research and ensure that barndominiums are allowed in your desired location before pursuing this housing option.